Dr. Sami Jan
The Department of Philosophy at Govt. College For Women M.A. Road Srinagar is an excellent provider of quality education and training in making education relevant to the emerging needs of the society. The students of our department are serving in majority of our educational institutions and in other professions. From the beginning the department has made efforts at improving teaching – learning process by imbibing the students with experience for study and growth.
Dr. Sami Jan
In the academic session 1969-70, with a guest faculty Professor Asadullah Shah to run it, the Department of Philosophy was established. In 1980, Professor G M Khawaja joined the Department. Professor Tabassum Lone served the Department till March 2012, and Dr. Jalil till June 2014. Dr. Sami Jan has been here since June 2015. Saliha Shah became part of the Department in June 2017.
Philosophy studies some of the humanity’s most fundamental questions. These questions arise when we reflect on the most basic and most widely shared elements of human experience:
• what is distinctive about being human?
• What is our place in the order of being?
• How is understanding possible?
• What makes us ethical?
• How are we political beings?
• What kind of life should we aspire to?
• What kind of society is desirable?
Most of us often assume that we know answers to these questions. Philosophy seeks to reflect on these questions and answers in a systematic and rigorous way—by studying the tradition they stem from, relying on careful argumentation, and drawing from fields as diverse as economics, literature, religion, law, mathematics, the physical sciences, and psychology.
Vision and Mission
The Department of Philosophy is committed to the task of developing in students the skill of thinking rigorously and creatively. It strives to encourage students to exercise freedom of thought and expression. It seeks to help its students use their training in philosophy for the good of the society they belong to.
|SNO||Name of Faculty||Desigination||Specilization||Qualification||Experience||Cell no & email||Publications||View Profile|
|1|| Dr. Sami Jan
( H.O.D. )
|Associate Professor||N/A||M.A, M.Phil., Phd.||N/A|| N/A
|2||Prof. Saliha Shah||Assistant Professor||N/A||M.A., NET-JRF||N/A||n/A||Nil||view|
Challenges and Tasks ,br>
The Department of Philosophy would like to contribute to having a Master’s program in Philosophy. To make it happen we need:
• To better the infrastructure for the students of philosophy and expose them to the best philosophical thinking happening in the world by way of e-resources and journal subscriptions.
• To work with partners within and outside the Government College for Women, M A Road in order to create the space for critical thinking to emerge.
• To have a good library that houses a decent collection of books on Indian, Western, Muslim philosophy in particular. (Our library was devastated by 2014 floods. More than 50000 books were irreparably damaged).
• To have a reading room and facilities like computers, printing and internet connections available to the Department, and special equipments like PPT must be available.
• To have funds available for holding its special lectures, seminars and discussions.
- Orientation Programme for B.A. 1st year students was organized where the subject was introduced to the students of Philosophy.
- Interclass Seminar was organized where the students of all the three classes presented their topics on the educational thought of Philosophy.
Department of Philosophy
Cluster University of Srinagar
Govt College for Women
M.A. Road , Srinagar - 190001
Tel: 0194-2479432 Fax : 0194-2478259
email : email@example.com
Website : www.gcwmaroad.org/philosophy